Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Basics of network bandwidth, latency, and jitter

Basics of network bandwidth, latency, and jitter Tube. Duration : 7.65 Mins.


I'm certainly no Salman Khan of the Khan Academy, but I've been doing my little animated presentations for some time and Khan has giving me some inspiration to use YouTube to keep trying the video form factor. I was asked to explain the concept of network latency to someone who found this article on Wall Street's speed wars fascinating using something other than geek talk, so I created this tutorial explaining what is bandwidth, latency, and jitter. The following is a short 7 minute video I posted on YouTube. As always, feedback and comments are welcome. Sorry about three places towards the end where audio was recorded too loudly and clipped. The recording software didn't filter out the clipping and these are some of the minor issues I need to hammer out next time. Also note that the 123 miles per millisecond for the "speed of light" quoted is the speed of light in fiber optic cabling. Light travels significantly faster in air and space, around 186 miles per millisecond. And of course, my delivery is certainly not as smooth as Mr. Khan, but I'm hopeful that you'll find the information simple to understand. One other interesting note is the YouTube switches to a very low bitrate even for the 1080P version of this video which is fine because of the very static nature of the video. Normal 1080P gets 3.5 Mbps for the video stream but this clip uses less than a megabit per second. That's understandable because it's easy to compress with very little loss in quality. I would ...

No comments:

Post a Comment